Pages

Sunday 9 September 2012

French Vinaigrette

 
I've always eaten a lot of salad. This isn't because I'm particularly healthy nor is it because I'm on a diet. As a child I was always confused when I heard people moaning about boring salad and what a chore it was to just have salad for dinner. I thought everyone had delicious homemade salad dressings. In fact as much as I enjoy crisp lettuce and juicy tomatoes, the best bit about a salad is definitely sopping up the dressing with some crunchy French bread.
 
I always have some of this french vinaigrette lying around, it's much tastier and cheaper than buying the ready made dressings from shops. I love it on all types of salads, I love dipping crunchy radishes into it and most of all I love drizzling it on a tuna salad sandwich instead of using butter or mayo.
 
The ratio of vinegar to olive oil is really up to you. My dad has always said 1 part of vinegar to 3 parts of olive oil, but I like mine a bit more tart (no tart jokes please!)... so I put roughly 1 part vinegar
 
Ingredients
 
Wholegrain or dijon mustard
Extra virgin olive oil
Red wine vinegar (can use raspberry or tarragon etc)
Salt
Pepper
 
I tend to make this in a glass bottle because it looks nice, but if you just have a smidge of mustard left in a jar you can make it in that.

 
 
How to...
 
1. Put a generous blob of mustard in your bottle/jar/bowl.
2. Fill your jar/bottle/bowl 1/3 full of vinegar. Add salt and pepper.
3. Top up with olive oil.
4. Shake.
5. Pour.
 
This keeps for absolutely ages, but you'll end up using it all within 2 weeks.
 

While cooking I was listening to... Ready for the Floor by Hot Chip.

No comments:

Post a Comment